Dean of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences: Dr Marie Clarke
Why UCD Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences?
UCD gives you access to Ireland’s broadest range of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences options. For students who already know and love subjects such as English, History, Economics or Geography — you gain access to world-class academics that inspire and stimulate. If you prefer to explore exciting new subject areas, subjects like Archaeology, Linguistics or Philosophy will show you new ways of seeing and thinking about the world.
- UCD’s two subject degree in Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences is the most popular degree in Ireland
- Internationally recognised as a top-quality degree from a world-class university taught by expert academics
- The path chosen by generations of Irish and international leaders in business, administration, the arts and the media
- Valued by employers at home and abroad for the quality of its graduates
- Obtain essential life and employment skills, including critical thinking, analysis and communication, and learn how to be adaptable and flexible in a changing business world
- Explore and access the expertise of UCD Alumni by participating in career mentoring facilitated by the UCD Career Development Centre
One Subject Degree
A three-year course where you study one subject to degree level and graduate with a Single Honours degree.
You can apply directly through CAO for a Single Honours degree in selected subjects including:
You will study additional subjects in Year 1 and then focus on your chosen single subject for Year 2 and Year 3.
You may transfer from a Joint Honours degree to a Single Honours degree after Year 1 in selected subjects. Individual subject pages detail whether this is an option.
Two Subject Degree
Select your subjects
Indicate on your CAO form the two subjects you wish to study. Find out which subjects you can combine below. Please note, only one subject may be chosen from each group.
- Group A
- Art History
- Classics: Greek & Roman Civilization
- Irish Folklore
- Group B
- Classics: Greek
- Group C
- Classics: Latin
- Information & Social Computing
- Irish Studies
- Group D
- Politics & International Relations
- Group E
- Group F
- Celtic Civilization
- Drama Studies
- Psychology *
When you register with UCD, you are encouraged to choose additional subjects. 95% of students choose a third subject to study in first year. This gives you the opportunity to experience other subjects you wish to explore.
At the end of first year you will receive advice and support in finalising your two subject choices before you move into second year.
Years 2 & 3
Study your two chosen subjects to degree level.
* Psychology can only be taken to degree level if entered through DN519 and is only available as an option for students in first year of the Joint Honours degree
International Study Opportunities
As Ireland’s global university, UCD offers many opportunities for you to study abroad in prestigious universities across the world.
As part of your Single or Joint Honours degree, you can opt to spend an additional year abroad and then graduate with a four year International Bachelor’s Degree.
You will receive guidance about your options for international study in your second year in UCD. Each subject page details the international study opportunities available for that subject.